Tips for keeping money in your pocket from Man vs Debt

2010-01-18 Andy Wergedal
Great thoughts on keeping money in your pocket...



image by AMagill


Top three tips.
1 – Find someone else in the similar circumstance and help them out.
This does a few things. First, it holds you accountable because it’s hard to teach someone to do something you’re not doing. Second, it’s makes you feel a lot less crazy – knowing someone else out there is dealing with something similar.
2 – Don’t keep any money or debit cards on you unless you know you’re going to buy something.
Most of the time, people buy on emotion. This alleviates that.
3 – Put things on hold.
This is a great little personal trick I adopted. Just the other day I went into H&M and saw a few shirts I wanted. Knowing I have about $25 in my clothing envelope, this would cover it.
But the thing is, I didn’t necessarily know if I NEEDED it. So basically, a day later the initial emotion of buying something is lost, and if I NEED it… I go back and get it.

At first I used to feel a bit weird doing this, but I don’t care. When “normal” is being in debt, I would rather be “weird.” :)

0 thoughts: Tips for keeping money in your pocket from Man vs Debt

Post a Comment